Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Struggle With Garage Band

So I used GarageBand two years ago in high school so I was familiar with it, that said I struggled with it more than I thought I would. Though GarageBand is easy to use right off the bat, some of the more complex operation took me some time to relearn.

GarageBand forces you to use your motor/physical abilities for manipulating the actual program environment. I even used my touch pad for a while and thats always an adventure in fine motor control. These skills could even be used to manipulate a real instrument to feed data into GarageBand. You use your cognitive ability in combination with your hearing ability to assist in the flow or your song. Your cognitive ability more for the technical aspects of the music such as the timing and your hearing ability more for audio aesthetics (if its pleasant on the ears). Your visual ability is also used in combination with your motor/physical ability to manipulate the environment.

Friday Sept 14th 1:04
So today I start my technology assessment which I probably should have started a few days ago. My plan is to create the starting rift from the final countdown in GarageBand and reteach myself the program in the process.

Friday Sept 14th 1:06
Turns out you cant right click on the different tracks to delete them. For some reason I thought you just couldn't delete the track if it was the only track. After creating a second track and then realizing I still couldn't right click I went searching the the drop down menus. Track - Delete Track. Yeah that shouldn't have been that hard. For the record the shortcut is Command Delete. Moving on!


Friday Sept 14th 1:43
So I've decided that creating the final countdown in GarageBand is more difficult than I first thought. Its not that I'm not up for the challenge I just think that I can get a full understanding of the program without nit picking too too much. Have you heard the final countdown, its hard to recreate! I've also noticed something I remember from using the program before. When you open information such as the track information or the media browser you can close them again without pressing their button at the bottom of the screen, I think a big x on the top of the window would be nice.

Friday Sept 14th 2:02
That was a fairly solid hour of work, my song is coming along fairly well. Its quite snazzy I think. Also excluding the few nit-pick things above the program is proving fairly easy and unfrustrating to use. Heres a link to the song so far: First

Saturday Sept 15th 9:07
So I think I'm obsessing over this assignment a little now. Have to finish this thing.

Saturday Sept 15th 9:53
Alright I'm done. I now remember why I used to play with GarageBand so much and I think I'll be playing with it some more later. I've re-learned cross fading, panning and fun stuff like that and realized that it's not that frustrating, only a little.
Heres the link to the final version if you're interested: Final


**UPDATE** My links don't currently work, they will be up as soon as possible!

No comments: